04 December 2010

O Magnum Mysterium

A little Latin to kick off this post? O Magnum Mysterium, arranged by de Victoria, was one of several choral pieces I performed today in a workshop with John Rutter. As an aside, the English translation:
O great mystery,
and wonderful sacrament,
that animals should see the new-born Lord,
lying in a manger!
Blessed is the Virgin whose womb
was worthy to bear
Christ the Lord.
Alleluia!
This piece struck a chord with me (tee hee) because ages ago I knew it by heart. I learned it in high school to perform with the Madrigals and am almost certain I have also performed it since (with King's College? St. John's?). It's a beautiful piece, soaring and reverent. And today I performed it in a drafty English church built in the 12th century by the order of crusading monks to protect pilgrims on their journeys to and from Jerusalem - under the direction of a world famous composer and founder of the Cambridge Singers. If you are familiar with choir music, you would likely recognize Pie Jesu from his Requiem.


Geeky choral facts aside, today I walked into a room full of strangers for the chance to do something I love to do - and happily, felt reconnected to friends and memories from decades gone by.


Sadly, I forgot my camera today, so I have included links to a few interesting pages about the Church and John Rutter.


Temple Church - History
John Rutter - Biography

No comments:

Post a Comment