11 January 2011

Let the Sunshine In!

To open, I'd like to share that London enjoyed something quite unique since my arrival this weekend: sunshine! This unexpected delight provided me this simple pleasure:



My explorations this weekend took me to two outdoor markets within a nice walk of my flat; Petticoat/Brick Lane and Spitalfields/Brick Lane.  I agree with the London Tourism website when is day Petticoat's "day is passed" - it is a bit dreary. In contrast, Spitalfields was, bustling, extensive and lovely!

On my route to and from these markets, these architectural beauties caught my eye:

The Leadenhall (well-preserved) Victorian food market:




The Bank of England:



And these examples of various eras of architecture built up around each other;

St. Helen's Place - note the SwissRe Building -
"the Gherkin" - towering above!

 and on Bishop's Gate:



Finally, I was able to recover these few photos of Hampton Court Palace:





More soon!




1 comment:

  1. Love the dancing flower pot that took 2+ weeks to put on its dancing shoes! Truly adorable.

    We're expecting snow tonight, though not much. As per the norm, everyone is freaking out. Miss you lots.

    jenn.

    ReplyDelete